If the disk on which the SAP database resides has failed, it is important to immediately backup the current transaction log, otherwise the work carried out since the last log backup will be permanently lost.
The current transaction log can only be dumped if:
· The disk on which the transaction log resides is undamaged
· The executables disk is undamaged
1. Insert a new tape into the tape device.
2. In the Enterprise Manager, start the Query Analyzer. To do this, expand your server and choose Tools ® SQL Server Query Analyzer.
The SQL Server Query Analyzer window opens.
3. Enter the Transact SQL statement:
BACKUP LOG <SAPSID> TO <backup device> WITH NO_TRUNCATE, FORMAT
Where <SAPSID> is the name of your SAP database and <backup device> the name of the device where you insert the backup tape, for example, R3DUMP0. Device names are case sensitive. For example, R3DUMP0 must be entered in uppercase.
The format option of the backup log command erases all the existing data on the tape. You should therefore be absolutely certain that you have placed the right tape into the tape drive.
4. Choose the execute icon to start the backup.