The SQL Server Management Studio allows you to backup the entire database or the transaction log on its own. SAP recommends to use SQL Server Management Studio for individual exceptional backups that are not part of the normal backup routine.
1. Start the SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Enter the connection information in the Connect to Server window to connect to the server.
3. In the Object Explorer, open Databases, select the database you want to backupand right-click Tasks ® Back up.
The Backup Database dialog window opens.
4. In the General tab of the Backup Database dialog window select the:
Ў Database you want to backup
Ў Backup type
In an SAP environment you can choose a Full, Differential or Transaction Log backup.
Ў Backup component
For an SAP environment, select Database.
Ў Name and description of the backup set
Ў Expiration period for the backup set
5. In the Destination info box, do the following:
a. If the devices are not listed, add the disk and tape device
b. Select the device you want the backup written to.
6. In the Options page of the Backup Database dialog window:
Ў Check and enter the information for overwriting the media
Ў In the reliability box, select your backup options.
Ў If the backup type is Transaction log, select your options in the Transaction log info box.
Ў If you backup toa tape device, select your options in the Tape drive info box.
7. Select OK to start the backup.
The SQL Server Agent executes a backup that has been scheduled as a job. To monitor a backup that is currently running, access the SQL Server Agent that is responsible for executing scheduled jobs, and do the following:
1. In the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, expand the server.
8. In the Object Explorer, expand SQL Server Agent, and select Jobs.
An overview of all scheduled jobs is displayed.
9. Double-click the Job Activity Monitor.
The Job Activity Monitor lists all scheduled jobs in the SQL Server Agent.
The Status and Last Run Outcome column indicate whether the backup is running or has aborted with an error.
Backup tasks scheduled in the SQL Server Management Studio are not registered in the Planning Calendar (DB13).