This section looks at database administration for the Microsoft (MS) SQL Server database and makes specific recommendations on improving availability.
You can find more information on MS SQL Server with the SAP system on SAP Service Marketplace at:
For example, choose Product Availability.
1. You work out your approach to backing up your database. You must do this before you start production with the database. When using the database for production, you must back up the database as regularly as possible.
Refer to Backup with MS SQL Server.
2. You manage the space in your database. You do this both before you start production with the database and later as the database grows.
Refer to Space Management with MS SQL Server.
3. You recover your database if a failure occurs with data loss.
Refer to Recovery with MS SQL Server.
4. You upgrade your database when required.
Refer to Upgrade with MS SQL Server.
5. You consider using various tools and services offered as standard by SAP to increase the availability of your database:
6. You consider using advanced products and services to increase the availability of your database:
Do not consider log shipping, as used in the SQL Server Standby Database, to be a replacement for a robust, thoroughly validated disaster recovery plan. It is merely another high availability solution for large enterprise systems.
7. You review your procedures to increase the availability of your database. Refer to Procedures at Your Site for High Availability.
Your MS SQL Server database is more available for production use.