On UNIX, the database system uses the special operating system group <sdba_group>. The system default for the name of <sdba_group> is sdba.
The following database resources have the operating system group ID (GID) of <sdba_group>:
· Files and directories of the database software (such as user profile container)
· Database processes
· vserver process (MaxDB X Server)
· Volumes if there is no support group for the database instance
Operating system users who perform administration tasks for the database system belong to the <sdba_group> operating system group. They can perform the following actions, among others:
· Create new database instances
· Start, stop and update the vserver
· Access the <independent_data>/wrk directory and its subdirectories
· Access the XCONS database tool
· Access volumes if there is no support group for the database instance
<sdba_group> is also the primary group for the special operating system user <sdb_user>.