You use the SDBINST program to install/update component groups or installation profiles of the database software on the Microsoft Windows operating system. The program queries all necessary information during the installation process.
You must stop the X Server program before you update the database software. Remember that this interrupts the communication between the clients and all local database instances.
? You have administrator rights for your computer.
? You have downloaded and unpacked the installation package. See Unpacking the Software on Microsoft Windows.
1. To update an existing installation of the database system or install a newer software version in parallel:
0 Stop each individual database instance of database system versions installed using the following command:
dbmcli –d <database_name> -u <dbm_operator>,<dbm_operator_password> db_offline
0 Stop the X Server program (XServer service) using the command:
In the case of an initial installation, start at step 2.
2. Open the command prompt and go to the local directory containing the installation files:
0 For OLTP software, this is the directory
0 For liveCache software, this is the directory
3. Enter sdbinst to start the installation/update program.
4. The system proposes component groups. Enter the ID of the desired component group. Confirm your selection.
5. If you selected the Custom component group, the system now proposes installation profiles. Enter the relevant ID. Confirm your selection.
6. The system now checks your computer for installations of the database system that can be updated.
It lists any relevant installations.
0 If you want to update an existing installation, specify its ID.
The system then updates the software in <independent_program_path>. Depending on your chosen software, the software in <dependent_path> is also updated if the installation package contains more recent versions of the files.
0 If you want to perform a new installation of the database software in parallel to the existing installation, specify none. You then have the option of specifying a new installation path. Define an installation path in parallel to the existing installation path.
If there is no current installation of the database software on your computer, the software components are now installed one by one. If necessary, the system prompts you to specify the following paths:
0 Path for storing data, configurations, and run directories of database instances and database applications (system default is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\sdb\data)
0 Path for storing programs and libraries shared by database instances and database applications (system default is C:\Program Files\sdb\programs)
0 Path for storing server software dependent on the database version
This path must be unique. Multiple directories containing different versions can exist simultaneously (system default is C:\Program Files\sdb\<version>).
Specify the required paths, or confirm the system defaults.
You will receive a message informing you that the installation was successful.
7. If you are installing the database software on your computer for the first time, we recommend that you shut down your computer, and restart it to enable the system to access the <independent_program_path>.
This is not necessary if you have updated the database software.
The software packages have been installed and registered. You can check the result of your installation in the log.
You can now create database instances using the Installation Manager, the Database Manager CLI or the Database Manager GUI.
Database Manager CLI, db_create
Database Manager GUI, Creating a Database Instance