You can use the Database Manager GUI to initialize an existing database on a local or remote computer.
When you initialize a database instance, all the data is deleted.
However, you can keep your database parameters and the configuration of your volumes and backup templates.
? You have administrator rights for the database instance. This is always the case if you log on as the first DBM operator
? Database instance on a local computer: You have administrator rights for the computer as an operating system user.
? Database instance on a remotecomputer: You have an operating system user for the remote computer with administrator rights and also the log on as batch job right (for Microsoft Windows operating systems) or a similar right (information on managing operating system users is provided in the documentation for your operating system).
Select the required database instance in the list of database instances.
Choose Instance ® Initialize... .
Choose Next to start each of the required steps.
1. Choose Initialize the database instance <database_name>.
An empty database instance is created under the existing name (the database instance is initialized and all of the data from the previous version is lost).
2. If necessary, transfer the database instance to the ADMIN operational state.
3. Choose Use current parameters.
4. The database parameters you configured for the database instance are proposed. In other words, you do not have to change them.
5. The volumes you configured for the database instance are proposed. In other words, you do not have to change them.
6. The backup templates you configured for the database instance are proposed. In other words, you do not have to change them.
7. Choose from the following options:
0 Create and start instance
Specify the database system administrator (SYSDBA user). The database instance is initialized and transferred to the ONLINE operational state.
0 Create instance for recovery
The database instance is initialized and transferred to the ADMIN operational state. You can use this database instance for a restore only. The details for the database system administrator are taken from the data backup.
8. Choose Start.
9. Choose Close.