You can maintain the statistics of your Oracle database with BR*Tools.
You typically use BR*Tools for a one-off update statistics. The aim of regular update statistics is to maintain optimal database performance. Out-of-date statistics reduce performance due to inappropriate access paths for database queries. For more information, see Update Statistics.
For routine update statistics, we recommend one of the following:
· DBA Planning Calendar to schedule a check or verification and then view its log
· The scheduler cron for UNIX or at for Windows
· BRTOOLS normally calls the SAP tool BRCONNECT to update statistics. You can also update statistics directly by calling BRCONNECT from the command line.
We recommend you to normally use BRTOOLS rather than BRCONNECT. This is because the BRTOOLS menus simplify entry of the correct parameters.
· Make sure that you have set the necessary parameters for BRCONNECT in the Initialization Profile init<DBSID>.sap.
You can perform the following backup functions with BR*Tools:
· Update database statistics
· Collect missing statistics
· Delete harmful statistics
1. You call the required function in BRTOOLS and check the displayed parameters, changing them as required.
The default parameter, which is set in the initialization profile init<DBSID>.sap, is to use the ANALYZE command (Oracle 9i) or the DBMS_STATS package (Oracle 10g) to sequentially update statistics for all database tables.
BRTOOLS only lets you change certain parameters for update statistics. If you have to make other changes, you must change the init<DBSID>.sap profile manually and then restart BRTOOLS.
2. If required, you change the default values for the update statistics parameters in the initialization profile init<DBSID>.sap and restart BRTOOLS.
3. If required, you choose Database Statistics ® Reset program status to set the defaults used to the values in the initialization profile init<DBSID>.sap. For certain input values, there is no corresponding parameter in the initialization profile, in which case the default value from the BRTOOLS program is used.
4. You start update statistics.
5. You check the results in the BRCONNECT Logs.