This process describes the basic procedures when performing an archiving session.
When archiving data, ensure that you adhere to the detailed Archiving Checklist.
1. Call data archiving. You can call archiving in two ways:
a. From the application
The system transfers the archiving object to the Archive Administration (transaction SARA) and branches automatically to the corresponding initial screen, for example, Archive Administration: Create Archive File, if documents are to be archived. Here, you can schedule the relevant job.
Not all applications enable you to call archiving in this way.
b. From system administration
· Call the Archive Administration transaction from system administration and enter the object name (see Archive Administration). You can display all available archiving objects using input help.
· Choose Enter to display the actions available for the object.
Alternatively, you can go to the network graphic for an overview of the available archiving objects, their status, any dependencies, and so on. From the network graphic, you can access the initial screen of Archive Administration by double-clicking an archiving object. The archiving object that you select appears in the input field Object Name.
The system manager usually calls data archiving when database tables have become too big. For more information, see System Manager.
2. You choose one of the activities available for the archiving object.
After you have chosen an action, the system access the screen in which you can schedule the job for the chosen function.
Choose Goto ® Program Documentation. to display background technical information about the program. Advice, is often also offered, and provides general information about the use of the program. If Advice is available for the current program, an "i" icon appears. You can also call Advice by choosing Goto ® Advice.
3. In the selection screen, schedule your job by maintaining the variant, the start date and the spool parameters, and so on. For more information, refer to Maintaining the Start Date and Maintaining Spool Parameters.
4. Finally, execute the archiving job.
To prevent the program from terminating due to time-outs, sessions in the production mode should be scheduled to run in the background. Programs should only be run online for test purposes.
If you use an external storage system, you can, in Archiving Object-Specific Customizing, specify whether archive files are transferred automatically to the storage system using the SAP Content Management Infrastructure.