1. Creating the label: Use the design program PCLabel Gold by Image Computer Systems Ltd to create the label layout. You can run this program under Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows NT. As printer choose within PCLabel Gold the TEC printer B-572-QP.
2. Defining the SAP form fields: Define any fields, which the SAP system later fills with variable data, as type variable. Define any fields with constant contents as type Fix.
3. Selecting fonts for text fields: For text fields,you can use both printer-internal fonts of the TEC printer and TrueType fonts.
4. Inserting bitmap graphics: You can include bitmap graphics (such as company logo) into the label definition.
5. Downloading the label definition to the file: To transfer the printer commands to a file, choose Print ® Print label. Mark Dump to file to transfer the print data into a file. The download is executed by the DOS program PCPrint, which is part of PCLabel. Do not enter field values for the variable fields in PCPrint. Make sure to enter only data for a single label and terminate the output after the first print process (F10) by pressing ESC. PCPrint creates a file PCPRINT.DMP which contains the printer commands. You find this file in the same directory as the label definition saved in PCLabel.
6. Uploading the label file to SAPscript and inserting the variablea: Start the SAPscript standard text editor (Utilities ®SAPscript ®Standard text). Create a new standard text. Choose Text ® Upload to upload the print file. As format select ASCII. Save the file.
Search for the variable fields and replace the constant text there (for example, VBAK-KUNNR) with the variable actually used in the print program (for example, &VBAK-KUNNR&). To do this, choose Edit ® Command ®Insert command and specify the variable in the field Symbols.
7. Adapting the SAPscript form: To print the label, adapt the desired SAPscript form. Choose Utilities ® SAPscript ® Form:
§ Define the first page of the form as its own next page, since the label file in the MAIN window may be very large.
§ The MAIN window should contain only one text element which contains the label file. The name of this text element depends on the SAP application program used. To insert the label file into this text element, copy the entire text from the standard text editor into the form window.
The modifications described below are not mandatory, since the printer language Printronix PGL ignores any unknown commands and leading blanks or blank lines are no problem. However, for better readability, you should make the following changes to the form:
§ Delete all windows except MAIN, or make sure that these windows don not contain any data to be printed (make them comments).
§ If the print program calls any other text elements in MAIN, change their contents to comments.
8. Creating an output device: Define the Printronix printer as Output Device in the SAP System.
The easiest way is to connect the printer to a Windows PC, install any Windows printer driver there and start the output program SAPlpd. The define the printer in the spool administration (transaction SPAD) using coupling type "S" or "U".
As device type choose SAPGOF.