The order type subdivides orders according to their purpose (see also: Structure by Controlling Aims).
An order type includes the following administrative information for orders:
- Is the classification active?
- Is Commitments Management active?
- Are revenue postings are allowed (an order with revenues can only be settled to a G/L account or a business segment)?
- Is the plan integration with Cost Center Accounting and Activity-Based Costing active?
- How is the status management being used?
- Which order layout should the master data display determine?
- What are the residence times for order archiving?
The system also uses the order type to determine default values for the various master data fields and to define given attributes for the assigned orders.
In customizing, you define order types by client.