The direction in which you transfer a project that exists in both Microsoft Project and the Project System determines whether a new project is created or whether an existing project is updated.
From OpenPS4MSP 2.00.00, the upload of projects from Microsoft Project to PS has been restricted. See SAP Note 534045 for information on how to enable the upload of projects from Microsoft Project to PS.
When you transfer a project from Microsoft Project to the Project System, OpenPS4MSP checks whether the project exists in the Project System:
· If the project does not exist in the Project System, OpenPS4MSP creates a new project as a copy of the project in Microsoft Project.
· If the project already exists in the Project System, OpenPS4MSP compares the WBS elements and activities in the Project System to the corresponding tasks in Microsoft Project. If there is a difference, OpenPS4MSP allows you to select which WBS elements and activities are to be updated in the Project System.
Unlike creating a new project, updating a project is a more complex procedure. If you have made any changes to the project hierarchy in Microsoft Project, OpenPS4MSP deletes the existing hierarchy in PS and creates a new one. For example:
· If you have deleted a WBS element (summary task) in Microsoft Project to which activities (tasks) are assigned, OpenPS4MSP deletes the activities.
· If tasks have been moved from one summary task to another, only the assignment of the activity to a WBS element is changed.
· If you have created a new summary task and subordinate task, OpenPS4MSP creates a new WBS element and a new activity that is assigned to a new network.
· If you have changed tasks only, OpenPS4MSP only updates the activities in the network.
You can see whether OpenPS4MSP is updating a project or creating a new project in the upper right-hand corner of the Action Log screen of the OpenPS4MSP Wizard. If OpenPS4MSP is updating a project in the Project System, the following message appears:
Update PS Project
If OpenPS4MSP is creating a project in the Project System, the following message appears:
Create PS Project from MSP Project
If the checks run without any errors, a Synchronize Log appears while updating. Here, you can select the objects that you want to update. If there are several subordinate lines for an object and you select or deselect this object, the subordinate lines are also selected or deselected.
If you deselect 'Update Network Activity 000004000321 0010' in the Update Log, the subordinate lines 'DURATION_NORMAL = 30,0' to 'CONSTRAINT_FINISH_DATE = 31.08.00’, for example, are deselected automatically. Similarly, if you select one of the subordinate lines, the superior object is automatically selected. You can deselect individual lines without affecting the superior object.
After you have selected the objects you want to update, choose Update. If you want to see the log after the update has finished, choose Display Log File. Otherwise choose Close to leave the dialog box.
If you change the name, that is the identification, of a summary task (WBS element) in Microsoft Project that has subordinate summary tasks, this sets a deletion indicator for the respective WBS element and all subordinate WBS elements in the Project System. If you try to update the structure, this results in an error. If you want to change the name of a summary task, you must therefore also change the names of all subordinate summary tasks.
You can restrict the upload of tasks from Microsoft Project to PS. You use the Retain in PS field to do this. Before carrying out the upload, you have to set the Retain in PS field to Yes for those tasks that are to be uploaded to PS. If you have set this field to No for a particular task, then the task is not uploaded to PS. This enables you to do detailed (lower-level) planning in Microsoft Project and also make higher-level data available in PS. See also, Business Rules for Open PS for Microsoft Project.
If you transfer a project that exists in both Microsoft Project and the Project System from the Project System to Microsoft Project, the following applies:
Ў If the same project is the active project in Microsoft Project at the time of download, you can choose whether to update the existing Microsoft Project file or create a new Microsoft Project file.
Ў If a blank Microsoft Project or any other project is the active project at the time of the download, the download creates a new Microsoft Project file.
To update an existing Microsoft project file, you must open the existing Microsoft Project file, connect to PS and download the project.